Saturday, May 5, 2012

My thoughts of the Silhouette Cameo and Cricut Expression.....

Good afternoon all,

As some of you may know i sold my Cricut Expression last year around March and decided to buy another machine that i could have more versatility with not having to buy million of cartridges for cuts i could design on my mac. After many months of investigating and researching i opted for the Silhouette Cameo.

Please note, before you read any further, that i have in no way been endorsed by either Company nor have i been given anything by these Companies, this is just my opinion.

I have had my Silhouette Cameo for about 5 months and although i love the freedom to design anything on the software that comes with the machine I've found two things that annoy me slightly about the machine. Firstly the blade.... it most definitely does not last as long as the Cricut's blade and i find that little shaving tend to go into the blade holder which causes the blade to almost hack the paper while cutting. Secondly, the cameo doesn't quite like the thicker card stock and even after cutting the same designs two to three times it still doesn't cut all the way through. Thirdly, at this stage there is only one type of blade for the Cameo which CANNOT cut chipboard thicker than cereal boxes. 

Like i said it's tiny things that annoy me but wont make me get rid of my machine. Besides these three little issues, i design all my own tags, folders, envelopes etc using the Silhouette Studio which is a major benefit in my book.

Do i miss my Pink Cricut Expression?!? Honestly.... YES I DO. Even though i would've had to buy a cartridge for images i wanted to cut, there's a "deep cut" blade that makes it possible to cut thicker card all the way up to thin chipboard which i would like to do for my albums.

All in all, i like both machines and maybe I'll buy myself another expression in the future, but for now I'll look for another solution to cut my chipboard.

Other than my thoughts on the machines, I've been working on my Black & White mini album. It now officially has a cover... lol! Here are some updated pics. 






Thank you for stopping by. Feel free to comment and leave some love....

Hugs,

Lee


8 comments:

  1. Wow Lee, love your B&W album! I came across your blog through the Outlawz site - also following you now! I'm also originally from Jo'burg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Madeleen. Sorry for the late reply. This album always seems to be in progress... doubt it'll ever be "complete"... lol! off to follow your blog too.

      Delete
  2. Your black and white album is beautiful.. I have the cricut, passel (not the nice little one but a monster I don't use) and just got the eclips so I could do the svg files. My frustration with cricut is it tears my paper more and more but it is Lesotho maybe it is worn out. It was from when it was released. I had the original one first. Found you on the outlawz. Following your blog too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Love my cameo, but thinking of getting another cricut. How are you enjoying your eclips?

      Delete
  3. Glad I popped in from Outlawz. I've been wanting to read a comparison on the expression and the silhouette. Thanks for sharing you experience.
    http://sweetpea1030.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sweetpea, apologies for the late reply. Life has just been a bit crazy... hehe! Thank you so much for stopping by. Glad i am able to help someone with my ramblings on this blog. Hope to hear from you again soon. Hugs, Lee

      Delete
  4. Hi Lee, i'd like to know where did you buy your Cameo and for how much? tahnx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thabisaur, I bought my Cameo from a Scrapbooking shop near the Benoni Area in Johannesburg. At the time (which is about 3 years ago), I paid around R3800.00. Not sure how much they going for now. Have a lovely Easter Weekend further. Hugs, Lee

      Delete